Britain’s sailors had a frustrating wait onshore in Geelong, Australia, at the 49er, 49erFX and Nacra 17 as strong winds put paid to day one of racing.
Following two day’s of measurement in increasing winds, there was optimism that racing would go ahead as scheduled before day one continued the blustery trend with winds ranging from 25-30 knots.
The 49ers where all set to go first racing first, but it only meant that they were the ones who had to endure the longest wait as the 49erFX and Nacra 17 sailors were sent home around lunch time. As hard as the racing committee tried, racing was fully abandoned around 16:00 local time.
“Today there was lots of waiting around with the wind above forecast all day,” said Dylan Fletcher, 31, from Thames Ditton, Surrey. “It’s always difficult not knowing if or when you’ll be heading out to go racing, we are all itching to get started.
“For us, we have not had the best preparation after breaking our mast yesterday in training. We have got another one on there for racing, it’s a great opportunity for us to deal with a set back so close to a major regatta.
“Our goals have not changed, we are still here to bring home a medal. Fingers crossed we get racing tomorrow.”